Smoking Cigars Relieves Stress
The nicotine in tobacco acts as a stimulant and a sedative. That’s why you feel calm and relaxed when smoking cigars. As a result, you can really control your mood with a few puffs. The more nicotine you inhale, the more sedated you become. Remember to practice moderation as you smoke your cigar. You’ll achieve the perfect amount of relaxation while remaining aware of your surroundings.
Lowers Blood Pressure
Smoking cigars also have many meditative qualities. Cigar aficionados attest that smoking has a positive effect on their blood pressure. Puffing and blowing create a trance-like state when you smoke. Tobacco also helps to settle your mind and quiet your thoughts. Since meditation lowers blood pressure, allow a cigar to place you in that same mindset. You’ll likely gain the same results.
Increases Dopamine Levels
Nicotine affects the dopamine levels in our bodies. Dopamine is a chemical that’s involved with your body’s pleasure center. It leaves you feeling happy and motivated. This automatic response is one reason why nicotine has very addictive properties. It makes perfect sense that developing a love for cigars can help relieve stress and make you happier.
Flavor Plays a Role
It’s also worth mentioning that, if relaxation is your ultimate goal, flavored cigars are the way to go. Flavors like vanilla can cause feelings of calm and tranquility. Also, as cigars age, their tobacco flavor mellows. They develop a smoother, creamier taste. This makes for a pleasant, relaxing experience for your senses. It also calms your stress levels.
Popularity Among Young Adults
A Stogie a Day to Keep the Doctor Away
The following references were used:
- “Adolescents’ Perceptions of Smoking and Stress Reduction,” Sage Journals 36.4 (2009).
- “On Doctor’s Orders,” published in Cigar Aficionado.
- “Cigar,” Wikipedia.
- “Cigars Are Good For You,” Cigars.com.
- “Dopamine.” Wikipedia.
- “Learning Your ABCs: Cigars 101, Part II,” Cigar Aficionado.
- “The positive effects of nicotine” (2014).
- “Meditation Effective in Reducing Blood Pressure,” Kent State University.
- “The Stress-Relieving Benefits of Cigar Smoking Outweigh Potential Health Risks,” Vintage Chic’ Cigar LLC.
photo credit: Pixabay